- Mobile is today’s first screen. So design responsively, focusing on content and structure first.
- Websites and apps alike should remove distractions and let people interact as directly as possible with content.
- 90 percent of design is typography. And the other 90 percent is whitespace.
- Boost usability and pleasure with progressive disclosure: menus and functions that appear only when needed.
- One illustration or original photo beats 100 stock images.
- Design your system to serve your content, not the other way around.
- Remove each detail from your design until it breaks.
- Style is the servant of brand and content. Style without purpose is noise.
- Nobody waits. Speed is to today’s design what ornament was to yesterday’s.
- Don’t design to prove you’re clever. Design to make the user think she is.
Also published in Medium
Translated into German (also here) by Mark Sargent
Translated into French by Jean-Baptiste Sachsé
Translated into Turkish by omerbalyali.
Translated into Spanish by Tam Lopez Breit.