“King of Web Standards”—Bloomberg Businessweek.
Online since May of 1995, Zeldman on Web Design is the personal site of designer, writer, and publisher Jeffrey Zeldman. “Jeffrey Zeldman Presents the Daily Report” is one of the oldest continuously published personal sites and a registered periodical: ISSN No. 1534-0309.
JEFFREY ZELDMAN publishes A List Apart “for people who make websites,” a leading journal of web and interaction design thought; co-founded the multi-city user experience design conference An Event Apart with Eric Meyer; and is the founder of studio.zeldman, a web and interaction design studio in New York.
Jeffrey co-founded and publishes A Book Apart (“brief books for people who make websites”), a small press with a significant impact in the field of web and digital design and UX. Among titles published by A Book Apart during its first years of operation are Responsive Web Design by Ethan Marcotte and Mobile First by Luke Wroblewski. Jeffrey is a faculty member on the MFA, Interaction Design program at School of Visual Arts, New York, and the founder and host of the internet radio program The Big Web Show (“Everything Web That Matters”), which has twice been named Podcast of the Year by .net Magazine.
In 2012, Jeffrey Zeldman was the first designer inducted in the SXSW Interactive Hall of Fame. He tweets prolifically at @zeldman and has blogged and shared web design concepts and advocated user- and content-focused design techniques at Jeffrey Zeldman Presents since 1995. Jeffrey serves on the Advisory Boards of Automattic, the SXSW Interactive Festival, and Readability, and is the Founder Emeritus of Happy Cog™, a digital design studio in Philadelphia (founded 1999). Jeffrey’s international speaking schedule is available for your perusal at Lanyrd.com. Additional biographical information may be found at Wikipedia.
(For books published, see A Book Apart)
- Designing With Web Standards on Wikipedia
- Designing With Web Standards 3rd Edition, by Jeffrey Zeldman with Ethan Marcotte, New Riders (October 25, 2009)
- Designing With Web Standards 2nd Edition, by Jeffrey Zeldman, New Riders (July 16, 2006)
- Designing With Web Standards 1st Edition, by Jeffrey Zeldman, New Riders (May 24, 2003) — the book that changed an industry
- Taking Your Talent to the Web: a Guide for the Transitioning Designer, by Jeffrey Zeldman, New Riders (May 18, 2001)
Selected External Links
- ★ Jeffrey Zeldman: 20 years of Web Design and Community–a Lynda.com documentary
- Jeffrey Zeldman on Wikipedia
- A List Apart Author: Jeffrey Zeldman – linked list of articles and blog posts
- Happy Cog design studios (founder and chairman)
- A List Apart for people who make websites (founder and publisher)
- An Event Apart – the design conference for people who make websites (co-founder)
- The Big Web Show on the 5by5 network (founder and host)
- A Book Apart – brief books for people who make websites (co-founder and publisher)
- @zeldman: Jeffrey Zeldman on Twitter
- Jeffrey Zeldman on Facebook
- Jeffrey Zeldman on Google+
- The Web Standards Project, R.I.P.
- School of Visual Arts MFA in Interaction Design (founding faculty member)
Articles and Interviews
- Jeffrey Zeldman on agency life, the changing web and why he had to get back to his roots, Creative Boom, June 24, 2016
- Has Design Become Too Hard? | Jeffrey Zeldman in Communication Arts, June 2, 2016
- User Defenders: Stay Enchanted with Jeffrey Zeldman (Part II), June 1, 2016
- User Defenders: Stay Enchanted with Jeffrey Zeldman (Part I), May 9, 2016
- The Web Ahead № 115: Predicting the future with Rachel Andrew, Jen Simmons, Eric Meyer, and Jeffrey Zeldman
- Celebrity Culture in Web Design, Web Designer Depot, February 11, 2016
- Non Breaking Space Show № 64: Jeffrey Zeldman – Web Design History, January 26th, 2016 · 50 minutes
- Ask Dr. Web—Live, A List Apart, 60-minute audience Q&A video with Zeldman and Sarah Parmenter, December 2, 2015
- Looking for Love: Standing Out from the Crowd of Web Job Seekers (Ask Dr Web), A List Apart, 18 November 2015
- Save “Save For Web”, Medium, 17 November 2015
- Ad Blocking and the Future of the Web The Observer, September 23, 2015
- What Apple’s Ad Blocking Could Mean for the Future of the Internet Huffington Post, September 23, 2015
- Ad Blocking and the Future of the Web, September 19, 2015
- Interview with Jeffrey Zeldman: A Candid Look at the Life & Work of a Web Standards Pioneer, Web Design Ledger, September 1, 2015
- If Ever I Should Leave You: Job Hunting For Web Designers and Developers by Jeffrey Zeldman, A List Apart, July 30, 2015
- Publishing Versus Performance: Our Struggle for the Soul of the Web by Jeffrey Zeldman, Medium, July 29, 2015
- Web Standards and Responsive Typography—an Interview with Jeffrey Zeldman (transcription and 24-hour web type design of live interview conducted by Nick Sherman), Typetester.org, 14 June 2015
- Ask Dr Web: No Good Can Come of Bad Code, by Jeffrey Zeldman, A List Apart, June 4, 2015
- Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Medium? by Jeffrey Zeldman, Medium, April 20, 2015
- Know Yourself by Jeffrey Zeldman, Fournova, April 16, 2015
- What Can Web Designers Learn From the Past?, Creative Bloq, April 16, 2015
- Designer Blindness by Jeffrey Zeldman, Medium, April 13, 2015
- LISP by Jeffrey Zeldman, Medium, April 12, 2015
- ‘Seventeen coats of bullshit’ with Dan Mall and Jeffrey Zeldman, Unfinished Business podcast, April 7, 2015
- Writing the Book on Web Design, Jeffrey Zeldman interview, Communication Arts Insights, March 24, 2015
- Zen and the Art of Wearable Markup, by Jeffrey Zeldman, The Pastry Box Project, March 21, 2015
- You, Inc: Going from Developer to Web agency (interview with Jeffrey Zeldman), by Jeff Pflueger, Pantheon, March 20, 2015
- Interview: Jeffrey Zeldman, PSD To WordPress, March 20, 2015
- Automan, The Dan Benjamin Show, March 19, 2015
- Designing the Web with Jeffrey Zeldman, The Web Ahead, March 18, 2015
- Jeffrey Zeldman on What He Wants All Designers to Know, Founder Dating, March 4, 2015
- Jesus and the Uber Driver by Jeffrey Zeldman, Medium, March 3, 2015
- The FWA: A Week in the Life of … Jeffrey Zeldman, February 24, 2015
- Ask Dr Web № 3: The Love You Make by Jeffrey Zeldman, A List Apart, February 12, 2015
- A Holiday Wish by Jeffrey Zeldman, 24 ways, December 18, 2014
- Ask Dr Web № 2: Help, My Portfolio Sucks! by Jeffrey Zeldman, A List Apart, October 30, 2014
- Jeffrey Zeldman: The Job Is Never Done, by Teddy Rhys, Kontent, Oct. 7, 2014
- Ask Dr Web: The Doctor Is In, by Jeffrey Zeldman, A List Apart, June 26, 2014
- A History Lesson Apart – with Jeffrey Zeldman, April 24, 2014
- Jeffrey Zeldman Interview, The Great Discontent, August 3, 2012
- What Comes Next Is the Future (documentary in progress), April 2014
- Why Designers need to Craft Words Not Pixels: William Channer interviews Jeffrey Zeldman, September 18, 2013
- The Gently Mad Podcast: Jeffrey Zeldman, September 19, 2013
- An Event Apart Video: Jeffrey Zeldman – Content First, July 25, 2013 (video)
- Industry-Leading Designers Share Their Current Top 3 Favorite Typefaces, April 29, 2014
- Jeffrey Zeldman: Ten Commandments of Modern Web Design, May 2013, Adobe.com
- Podcast 001, Part 1 – Gary Lockwood interviews Jeffrey Zeldman, 16 October 2012
- Devs respond to Opera WebKit switch, Craig Grannell, .net Magazine, 13 February 2013
- Large Type: One Web Designer Puts Content First in a Big Way – Anthony Wing Kosner, Forbes, May 20, 2012
- Five Questions for Jeffrey Zeldman, Future Insights, July 10, 2012
- Jeffrey Zeldman on His Web Design Manifesto 2012, Craig Grannell, .net Magazine, May 22, 2012
- Design of the times: Go Beyond Pixels conference features web’s heavy hitters Daniel MacEachern/The Telegram
- What Jeffrey Zeldman thinks about Jeffrey Zeldman’s induction into the SXSW Interactive Hall of Fame, Where No Man Has Gone Before, Austin Chronicle, 2012, March 2
- Forbes: The Original Zeldman Guide for Web Designers Now Free to Read on the Web!, Anthony Wing Kosner, June 3, 2012
- Jeffrey Zeldman tribute video – on his induction into the SXSW Interactive Hall of Fame (Vimeo)
- “How To Fix Your Retail Website” | Inc.com by Issie Lapowsky; includes sidebar interview: Q&A: Jeffrey Zeldman, on the right way to retool a website 2012
- Jessie Scanlon (2007-08-06). “Jeffrey Zeldman: King of Web Standards”. BusinessWeek
- Jeffrey Zeldman To Be First Inductee in SXSW Interactive Hall of Fame
- Browser screen resolution stats rile devs By Craig Grannell on April 13, 2012, .net magazine
- Oliver Lindberg (2009-05-27). “Jeffrey Zeldman interview”. .net magazine
- Jeffrey Zeldman (2010-09-26). “The Future of Web Standards”, .net magazine
- Alissa Walker (2011-09-01). “Adobe’s Muse Lets Designers Make Websites Without Knowing Code”. Fast Company
- The Interactive Awards Pre-Party and Ceremony Presented by HP (Lanyrd)
- Jeffrey Zeldman to be Inducted to SXSW Hall of Fame at 2012 Interactive Awards (SXSW)
- .net Magazine: Zeldman inducted to the SXSWi Hall of Fame
- An Interview with Jeffrey Zeldman (Cognition)
- ★ But What I really Want to Do is Direct by Jeffrey Zeldman, Cognition, May 26, 2011
- Go Forth & Make Awesomeness: Core Values & Action – a session at SXSW Interactive 2012
- The Impossible Year
- SXSW Ceremony
- Of Austin Fame and Marches (Dolls for Friends)
- Thank You, Steve Jobs 5by5 event hosted by Dan Benjamin
- Video: Jeffrey Zeldman – The Medium Comes of Age – Jeffrey Zeldman’s keynote talk from DIBI Conference 2011, Newcastle, UK.
- Jeffrey Zeldman (2010-09-26). “The Future of Web Standards”, .net magazine
- “Who is Jeffrey Zeldman”. Lullabot. 2011-08-19. http://www.lullabot.com/podcasts/podcast-95-who-jeffrey-zeldman.
- “Why Is Your Web Designer Wearing a Blue Hat Today?”, Fast Company Magazine, November 30, 2009
- 2007, 2008, and 2009 A List Apart Web Surveys
- Zeldman And Ethan Marcotte On The Future Of The Web, “Boagworld”, 2010-03-31
- Author Talk: Jeffrey Zeldman Interview “InformIT Network”
- “Real Fonts on the Web: Jeffrey Zeldman Interviews The Font Bureau’s David Berlow”. A List Apart. 2009-04-21. http://www.alistapart.com/articles/realfontsontheweb/.
- “Jeffrey Zeldman Bites Back”. Slashdot. 2000-05-18. http://www.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/05/18/1433233.
- Selling Jeffrey Zeldman on Selling, Khoi Vinh’s Subtraction, 2006-10-10
- An interview with Jeffrey Zeldman: art, love, web standards and George Clooney, “DMXzone.com”
- An Interview With Jeffrey Zeldman: The Setup
- Dan Benjamin’s The Pipeline: Jeffrey Zeldman Interview
- Jeffrey Zeldman on 5by5
- Typography on the Web: Questions for Jeffrey Zeldman – Part 1 by Ellen Lupton
- Guardian: Paul MacInnes and Matt Andrews: Jeffrey zeldman’s Awesome Internet Design Panel
- Jeffrey Zeldman’s Awesome Internet Design Panel – SXSW 2011 Interactive Web Design (video excerpt)
- Complete audio: Jeffrey Zeldman’s Awesome Internet Design Panel from SXSW Interactive 2011
- An Event Apart speakers: Jeffrey Zeldman
- An Event Apart: Speakers and Scribes
- Facebook public figure page – Jeffrey Zeldman
- Google books: Designing With Web Standards
- Designing With Web Standards – reviews on Goodreads
- Jeffrey Zeldman author page on Goodreads
- Listamatic: Jeffrey Zeldman’s DWWS menu (code)
- Style vs. Design by Jeffrey Zeldman
- Jeffrey Zeldman is speaking at Do it with Drupal 2011 in New York!
- Jeffrey Zeldman on Dribbble
- A Design Apart: Q&A with Jeffrey Zeldman by Dan Levy
- Jeffrey Zeldman interview with Nancy Ruenzel – Peachpit author talk
- Read this Post because it has Zeldman in the Title, by Joshua Porter, Bokardo, May 6, 2005
- Jeffrey Zeldman Interview, Digital Web Magazine, August 26, 1999
PRESS PHOTOS may be freely used under a Creative Commons license, but must be credited to the respective photographers.
Pardon My Archives
HERE be ancient zeldman.com content in its original format.
- Fifteen Minutes: Video and audio interviews with movie stars and web designers, in original cheesy format, 1996–1999
- The Ad Graveyard: Real ads that almost ran, 1995–1998.
- Pardon My Icons: Unusual icons for your desktop or website. 1995–1998.
- Gifplex: Early animated GIF experiment, 1995.
- Ask Dr Web: A complete guide to web design, 1990s style. 1995–1998. REMOVED because it continued to get traffic long after it was obsolete.
- Waterbox: For your listening pleasure, electronica by your humble narrator. In RealAudio! Need to remaster.
- If The Great Movies Had Been Websites: What if Orson Welles had kept a web diary? 1999
- Mr. Jenkins’s Last Martini: The web’s first alcoholic haiku contest. REMOVED.
- Lawrence Welk, Postmodernist: We come to praise him. 1995
- Letter From Istanbul: Rocking the cradle of civilization. Unfinished travelogue. 1998.
- Linker’s Delight: Obsolete banners, from back when we did that sort of thing.
- Wallpaper: Dress that desktop for success. 1997.
ZELDMAN.COM is powered by WordPress, hosted by Arcustech, and produced in New York City, USA. Written, designed, and produced by L. Jeffrey Zeldman. (Contact.) WordPress implementation by Noël Jackson. The present day designer refuses to die!