About this site
ONLINE SINCE MAY 1995, Jeffrey Zeldman Presents is the personal site of designer, writer, and publisher Jeffrey Zeldman. “Jeffrey Zeldman Presents the Daily Report” is one of the oldest continuously published personal sites and a registered periodical: ISSN No. 1534-0309.
About Jeffrey Zeldman
DUBBED KING of Web Standards by Business Week, Jeffrey Zeldman publishes A List Apart “for people who make websites,” a leading journal of web design thought since 1998, and founded and is chairman of Happy Cog™, a design studio with offices in New York, Philadelphia, and Austin.
Jeffrey co-founded the multi-city web design conference An Event Apart with Eric Meyer, and co-founded and publishes A Book Apart, brief books for people who make websites with Mandy Brown and Jason Santa Maria. He hosts weekly design podcast The Big Web Show (.net Magazine Video Podcast of the Year 2010, and Podcast of the Year 2011), and is a faculty member on the MFA, Interaction Design program at School of Visual Arts.
In 2012, Jeffrey Zeldman was the first human inducted into the SXSW Interactive Hall of Fame. He tweets prolifically at @zeldman and has blogged and shared web design concepts and techniques at Jeffrey Zeldman Presents since 1995. His speaking schedule is available for your perusal.
Two-Hundred Word Bio
Dubbed “King of Web Standards” by Business Week, Jeffrey Zeldman founded and is chairman of Happy Cog™, a high-end design studio with offices in Philadelphia, Austin, and New York, and has published A List Apart Magazine “for people who make websites” since 1998. He has written two books, notably the foundational text, Designing With Web Standards, currently in a 3rd Edition coauthored with Ethan Marcotte. It has been translated into 15 languages and is credited with converting the web design industry from tag soup and Flash to semantics and accessibility.
Jeffrey co-founded the multi-city web design conference An Event Apart with Eric Meyer; with Mandy Brown and Jason Santa Maria he co-founded the publishing house A Book Apart, responsible for such groundbreaking titles as Responsive Web Design (Ethan Marcotte), Design Is A Job (Mike Monteiro), Mobile First (Luke Wroblewski), and Content Strategy For Mobile (Karen McGrane).
He hosts weekly design podcast The Big Web Show (twice winner of .net Magazine Podcast of the Year), and is a faculty member on the MFA, Interaction Design program at School of Visual Arts. In 2012, Jeffrey Zeldman was the first human inducted in the SXSW Interactive Hall of Fame.
Hundred Word Bio
Designer, writer, entrepreneur. Founder: A List Apart magazine for people who make websites (1998), Happy Cog™ design studios (1999). Author of foundational web standards text, Designing With Web Standards, currently in 3rd edition, translated into 15 languages. Host, The Big Web Show weekly podcast (“Everything Web That Matters”). Publisher and co-founder, A Book Apart – brief books for people who make websites. Co-founder, An Event Apart design conference, now in eight cities. Faculty, MFA Interaction Design program, School of Visual Arts NYC. First inductee, SXSW Interactive Hall of Fame. @zeldman alistapart.com zeldman.com aneventapart.com happycog.com
Fifty Word Bio
Designer, writer, entrepreneur. Founder: A List Apart magazine (1998), Happy Cog™ design studios (1999). Author, Designing With Web Standards (currently in 3rd edition). Host, The Big Web Show. Publisher, A Book Apart books. Co-founder, An Event Apart design conference. First inductee, SXSW Interactive Hall of Fame. @zeldman alistapart.com
PRESS PHOTO may be freely used but must be credited to the photographer, Tony Quartarolo.
Selected External Links
- Jeffrey Zeldman on Wikipedia
- Designing With Web Standards on Wikipedia
- A List Apart Author: Jeffrey Zeldman – linked list of articles and blog posts
- Happy Cog
- A List Apart
- An Event Apart
- The Big Web Show
- A Book Apart
- Jeffrey Zeldman on Twitter
- Jeffrey Zeldman on Facebook
- Jeffrey Zeldman on Google+
- The Web Standards Project
- Faculty, School of Visual Arts MFA in Interaction Design
- Jeffrey Zeldman Interview, The Great Discontent, August 3, 2012
- Jeffrey Zeldman: Ten Commandments of Modern Web Design, May 2013, Adobe.com
- Podcast 001, Part 1 – Gary Lockwood interviews Jeffrey Zeldman, 16 October 2012
- Devs respond to Opera WebKit switch, Craig Grannell, .net Magazine, 13 February 2013
- Large Type: One Web Designer Puts Content First in a Big Way – Anthony Wing Kosner, Forbes, May 20, 2012
- Jeffrey Zeldman on His Web Design Manifesto 2012, Craig Grannell, .net Magazine, May 22, 2012
- Design of the times: Go Beyond Pixels conference features web’s heavy hitters Daniel MacEachern/The Telegram
- What Jeffrey Zeldman thinks about Jeffrey Zeldman’s induction into the SXSW Interactive Hall of Fame, Where No Man Has Gone Before, Austin Chronicle, 2012, March 2
- Forbes: The Original Zeldman Guide for Web Designers Now Free to Read on the Web!, Anthony Wing Kosner, June 3, 2012
- Jeffrey Zeldman tribute video – on his induction into the SXSW Interactive Hall of Fame (Vimeo)
- “How To Fix Your Retail Website” | Inc.com by Issie Lapowsky; includes sidebar interview: Q&A: Jeffrey Zeldman, on the right way to retool a website 2012
- Jessie Scanlon (2007-08-06). “Jeffrey Zeldman: King of Web Standards”. BusinessWeek
- Jeffrey Zeldman To Be First Inductee in SXSW Interactive Hall of Fame
- Browser screen resolution stats rile devs By Craig Grannell on April 13, 2012, .net magazine
- Oliver Lindberg (2009-05-27). “Jeffrey Zeldman interview”. .net magazine
- Jeffrey Zeldman (2010-09-26). “The Future of Web Standards”. .net Magazine
- Alissa Walker (2011-09-01). “Adobe’s Muse Lets Designers Make Websites Without Knowing Code”. Fast Company
- Designing With Web Standards 3rd Edition on Amazon.com
- “A List Apart” web design articles by Jeffrey Zeldman
- The Interactive Awards Pre-Party and Ceremony Presented by HP (Lanyrd)
- Jeffrey Zeldman to be Inducted to SXSW Hall of Fame at 2012 Interactive Awards (SXSW)
- .net Magazine: Zeldman inducted to the SXSWi Hall of Fame
- An Interview with Jeffrey Zeldman (Cognition)
- Go Forth & Make Awesomeness: Core Values & Action – a session at SXSW Interactive 2012
- The Impossible Year
- SXSW Ceremony
- Of Austin Fame and Marches (Dolls for Friends)
- Thank You, Steve Jobs 5by5 event hosted by Dan Benjamin
- Wall of Fame: Who to Follow on Google+
- List of Recommended Artists & Designers to Follow on Google+
- Video: Jeffrey Zeldman – The Medium Comes of Age – Jeffrey Zeldman’s keynote talk from DIBI Conference 2011, Newcastle, UK.
- “Who is Jeffrey Zeldman”. Lullabot. 2011-08-19. http://www.lullabot.com/podcasts/podcast-95-who-jeffrey-zeldman.
- “Why Is Your Web Designer Wearing a Blue Hat Today?”. Fast Company. 2009-11-30. http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/alissa-walker/designerati/why-your-web-designer-wearing-blue-hat-today.
- 2007, 2008, and 2009 A List Apart Web Surveys
- Taking Your Talent to the Web
- Zeldman And Ethan Marcotte On The Future Of The Web, “Boagworld”, 2010-03-31
- Author Talk: Jeffrey Zeldman Interview “InformIT Network”
- “Real Fonts on the Web: Jeffrey Zeldman Interviews The Font Bureau’s David Berlow”. A List Apart. 2009-04-21. http://www.alistapart.com/articles/realfontsontheweb/.
- “Jeffrey Zeldman Bites Back”. Slashdot. 2000-05-18. http://www.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/05/18/1433233.
- Selling Jeffrey Zeldman on Selling, Khoi Vinh’s Subtraction, 2006-10-10
- An interview with Jeffrey Zeldman: art, love, web standards and George Clooney, “DMXzone.com”
- An Interview With Jeffrey Zeldman: The Setup
- Dan Benjamin’s The Pipeline: Jeffrey Zeldman Interview
- Jeffrey Zeldman on 5by5
- Typography on the Web: Questions for Jeffrey Zeldman – Part 1 by Ellen Lupton
- Guardian: Paul MacInnes and Matt Andrews: Jeffrey zeldman’s Awesome Internet Design Panel
- Jeffrey Zeldman’s Awesome Internet Design Panel – SXSW 2011 Interactive Web Design (video excerpt)
- Complete audio: Jeffrey Zeldman’s Awesome Internet Design Panel from SXSW Interactive 2011
- An Event Apart speakers: Jeffrey Zeldman
- An Event Apart: Speakers and Scribes
- Facebook public figure page – Jeffrey Zeldman
- Google books: Designing With Web Standards
- Designing With Web Standards – reviews on Goodreads
- Jeffrey Zeldman author page on Goodreads
- Listamatic: Jeffrey Zeldman’s DWWS menu (code)
- Style vs. Design by Jeffrey Zeldman
- Jeffrey Zeldman is speaking at Do it with Drupal 2011 in New York!
- Jeffrey Zeldman on Dribbble
- A Design Apart: Q&A with Jeffrey Zeldman by Dan Levy
- Jeffrey Zeldman interview with Nancy Ruenzel – Peachpit author talk
Pardon My Archives
HERE YOU WILL FIND ancient zeldman.com content in its original format.
- The Ad Graveyard
- Real ads that almost ran. 1995–1998.
- Pardon My Icons
- Unusual icons for your desktop or website. 1995–1998.
- If the Great Movies Had Been Websites
- What if Orson Welles had kept a web diary? 1999.
- Fifteen Minutes
- Interviews with movie stars and web designers, 1996–1999, in original cheesy format.
- Dress that desktop for success. (1997?)
- For your listening pleasure, music by Jeffrey Zeldman.
- Early multimedia experiment. 1995.
- Lawrence Welk, Postmodernist
- We come to praise him. 1995.
- Letter from Istanbul
- Rocking the cradle of civilization. An unfinished travelogue. 1998.
- Linker’s Delight
- Obsolete banners.
- Mr Jenkins’s Last Martini (removed)
- The web’s first alcoholic haiku contest.
- Ask Dr Web 1995–1998 (removed)
- A complete guide to web design, 90s-style.
Web Design Bookmarklets
FOR YOUR PLEASURE. To test, click any link. To install, drag to your browser’s bookmarks bar.
- Resize 800
- Moves your browser to the left (allowing room for tool bars such as DragThing), resizes it to 800px wide by xx high, where xx is the height of your monitor minus space at the bottom for your Dock or Task Bar.
- Resize 1024
- Same as above, but makes your browser window 1024px wide.
- Test your page for markup errors.
Written, designed, and coded by L. Jeffrey Zeldman. (Contact.)
WordPress implementation by Noël Jackson.
The present day designer refuses to die!