- Berners-Lee: reinventing HTML
Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the web and founder of the W3C, announces reforms:
It is really important to have real developers on the ground involved with the development of HTML. It is also really important to have browser makers intimately involved and committed. And also all the other stakeholders….
Some things are clearer with hindsight of several years. It is necessary to evolve HTML incrementally. The attempt to get the world to switch to XML, including quotes around attribute values and slashes in empty tags and namespaces all at once didn’t work.
- 9 to 5 = average
- To be great in design takes passion and work.
- Sending XHTML as text/html Considered Harmful to Feelings
- I love this.
- Web Directions North
- Our Australian friends set up camp in Vancouver, for what looks like a great two-day conference on standards-based design and development (Vancouver Canada, February 6-8 2007). Speakers include Kelly Goto (Gotomobile), Andy Clarke (malarkey), Adrian Holovaty (Chicago Crime, Washington Post), Douglas Bowman (Google Visual Design Lead), Dan Cederholm (SimpleBits), Joe Clark (joeclark.org), Dave Shea (CSS Zen Garden), Cameron Moll (Authentic Boredom), Molly Holzschlag (Molly.com), Veerle Pieters (Veerle’s Blog, Duoh!), Kaitlin Sherwood (Google Maps US Census mashup), Tantek Çelik (Technorati).
- Web Accessibility: Web Standards and Regulatory Compliance
- By Andrew Kirkpatrick, Richard Rutter, Christian Heilmann, Jim Thatcher, Cynthia Waddell, et al. Don’t let the unsexy title fool you. Vast and practically all-encompassing, this newly updated classic belongs on every web designer’s shelf. (Better still, open it and read.)
- I Cannot Possibly Buy Girl Scout Cookies From Your Daughter at This Time
- By Charlie Nadler in McSweeney’s.
- Gemini Girl
- New women’s blog elegantly designed by Ray McKenzie.
- eMusic: 33 Folkways LPs
- Thirty-three important Folkways Recordings for download. Louis Bonfa, Mighty Sparrow, Woodie Guthrie, Henry Cowell and more.
- On having layout – the concept of hasLayout in IE/Win
- Technical but reasonably easy to follow discussion of why Internet Explorer’s rendering of your design may
suckdiffer from your expectations
- “Apple’s Backup App is Shit”
- God bless SuperDuper.
[tags]W3C, webdirections, accessibility, haslayout, browsers, mcsweeney’s, folkways[/tags]