FAST COMPANY writes:
Apple, like Facebook, has entered into a standoff with the publishing industry and the open, if for-profit, web. And it’s being done under the aegis of design: choose a better reading experience on our curated platform, they offer, or let us clean up that pesky advertising on the open web.
N.B. This is not the first time this conversation has arisen, nor will it be the last. Off the top of my head, see also:
- The Death of the Open Web, New York Times 2010
- The Web Is Dead, Wired 2010
- The Web Is Dead, Long Live The Internet, Wired 2010
- Orbital Content A List Apart 2011
- Readability 2.0 is Disruptive Two Ways, zeldman.com 2011
- This Is A Website, zeldman.com 2013
- Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Medium? zeldman.com 2015
- The Web Is Not Poor Man’s Native, in progress 2015
⇛ Is the web under threat? Will Facebook or Apple kill or save journalism? Share your thoughts or your favorite links on the subject. Bonus points for older articles.