ON JANUARY 25, for the fifth time since 1998, we overhauled A List Apart, the periodical for people who make websites. In addition to its traditional well-vetted articles, the new 5.0 model sports fresh streams of content in a responsive format designed by Mike Pick and Tim Murtaugh. If you are just joining us, here are some of the highlights from the first ten days:
- A List Apart 5.0 – an A List Apart article by JZ. A tour of strategic highlights, a glimpse into the design process, and a promise of things to come.
- What We Learned in 2012, shared by some of A List Apart’s authors and readers.
- More Articles – hundreds of illuminating insights into the design, development, and content arts.
We’ve introduced opinion columns by some of the smartest people we know in this industry. They’ll appear between issues at the rate of one or two per week.
- Looking Beyond User-Centered Design – an A List Apart column by Cennydd Bowles: “To treat design as a science is to retreat to the illusory safety of numbers, where designers are mostly seen as agents of skewing the odds in your favor. This can start a race to the bottom…”
- Picture Yourself in a Boat on a River – an A List Apart column by Derek Powazek: “Welcome to Fertile Medium, an advice column for people who live online. Each edition, I’ll take a question from you about living and building social spaces online, and do my best to answer.”
- Windows on the Web – an A List Apart column by Karen McGrane: “It’s time to stop imagining that smartphones, tablets, and desktops are containers that each hold their own content, optimized for a particular browsing or reading experience. Users don’t think of it that way. Instead, users imagine that each device is its own window onto the web.”
- On Alt Text – an A List Apart blog post by JZ. A few sentences that generated a great deal of controversy in the accessibility community.
- More Thoughts About Blockquotes than are Strictly Required – an A List Apart blog post by Tim Murtaugh. Markup geeks, here is your meat.
- Why Are Links Blue? – an A List Apart blog post by JZ on the eternal question.
Thanks and Praise
Illustration by Kevin Cornell for A List Apart