FROM A LUKE Wroblewski-led mobile workshop currently in progress at An Event Apart San Francisco:
- There are more mobile devices than there are people in the world.
- 1.3 billion mobile page views a year.
- Facebook says a few years form now “almost everyone at Facebook will focus exclusively on mobile.”
- 1 in 10 mobile smartphones are iPhones. But one iPhone is responsible for twice the traffic of an Android phone (its nearest competitor).
- 27% of all Yelp usage currently comes from mobile.
- Web vs. Native: Facebook has 350 Million mobile users. 50% of that access is via the web. The other 50% is native (all platforms). All native apps put together equal the same usage as web.
- “People will do stuff on the closest screen near them that is good enough.”
- 50% of Africa and Asia only access the internet on mobile.
- “Clinging to desktop experience and ignoring mobile is like a record company clinging to CDs while digital passes them by.” Luke W.
- An entire generation of people starting to use the internet on mobile in Asia, Africa, etc. Kenya 20% of GDP happens on mobile devices. Mobile phones will overtake desktops as the most common web access devices worldwide by 2013.
And why mobile web (vs. native)?
- Rapidly growing “real” businesses.
- Access across multiple platforms and without apps.
- Instant updates, fixes, and testing.
- No plying in anyone else’s backyard.
- Great way to get started with mobile.