This spicy vegetarian soup is perfect when you have a head cold, or just to warm up a winter day.
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets
- TSP ground ginger
- TSP ground Cloves
- Large dash toasted sesame oil
- 6 pitted black Kalamata olives
- 3 or 4 large mushrooms, sliced in big pieces
- 2 or 3 fresh scallions, sliced in big pieces
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped in a few large pieces
- Vegetable broth to cover, 30 oz. or more, preferably organic
- 1 large carrot or 6 baby carrots, sliced
In a large pot, melt the butter over high heat, and add at least half the cauliflower pieces. Let sauté for about a minute, stirring once.
Sprinkle ginger and cloves on top. After another minute, shake sesame oil on top.
Add the garlic pieces and wait. After a little while, add the black olives and the rest of the cauliflower. Let it continue to sauté for another minute or so, stirring once or twice.
Pour in the vegetable broth. Add the mushrooms and scallions. Let it approach boiling, then cut the flame to a very low simmer. Let the soup simmer for at least 10 minutes.
Using a large spoon, remove at least half of the cauliflower and other vegetables and at least four ounces of broth and put them in a blender.
Blend to a creamy consistency. Pour the blended mixture back into the pot and stir.
Let simmer until ready to serve, stirring occasionally.
Before serving, optionally place a couple of spoonfuls of leftover rice in each bowl, then pour the soup on top.