My glamorous life

My small old shi’zu watches intently as I embed the five pills that keep him alive in little balls of hypoallergenic canned food—a process that takes five minutes and must be repeated three times a day. As I work, I smile down at him and sing, “Daddy’s makin’ meatballs.”


16 thoughts on “My glamorous life”

  1. Thanks for sharing! Alas, my poor little fellow can eat nothing but this specific hypoallergenic dog food. He can’t even go on a raw food diet (which often helps allergic animals).

    I once accidentally ate a bite of my dog’s hypoallergenic food. Eating dog food would be bad enough, but I don’t eat meat, so it should have been doubly grotesque. But the stuff is so removed from real-world food, it was more like accidentally eating talcum powder than like accidentally eating meat. A bit like salty flour, not as rubbery in the mouth as it is to the hand.

  2. Ah, the things we do for the ones we love! We spent a few months giving one of our elderly cats daily injections of fluids under the skin three times a day in an effort to extend her life. Alas, it didn’t work and her renal failure won the day.

    Keep up the good work!

  3. @corey I recently lost my sweet cat to renal failure too… it was punishing! In the end we had to let her go, but it was time.

    @zeldman I’m sure your pup spends every second of his life thanking you for finding a way to keep him happily by your side. =)

  4. “Once accidentally ate a bite of my dog’s hypoallergenic food” how did you manage that Mr Zeldman?

  5. Beth and Mark:

    How I accidentally ate dog food.

    It’s like this.

    I have a five-year-old, and when I take her home from school, I multi-task.

    I was emptying my daughter’s school lunch box with one hand while preparing my dog’s food and meds with the other.

    My daughter had eaten pretzels at lunch and there were numerous loose pretzel crumbs in the lunch box.

    After feeding the dog and cleaning the lunch box, I noticed what looked like pretzel crumbs on the work surface and thought, “Hmm, Daddy snack.”

    I popped the “pretzel crumbs” into my mouth.

    Hilarity ensued.

  6. hypoallergenic – now that brings back memories.

    My Father a few years back, brings the family dog, Guinness, he says to me

    “I’m going to the UK, you’ve got to look after Guinness, I think he’s buggered, so you will have to put him down, he’s started peeing blood!” I take Guinness on. Guinness is an English Staffordshire Terrier who’s 17 years old at this point.

    I consult with a good vet, and its a possibility Guinness kidneys and liver cannot handle long chain protein, the next day I am buying a big bag of dry hypoallergenic food, from a vet, as its not available in the store.

    I jiggle Guinness around every few hours, with my hands under hill belly and bladder, to stop his blood clotting in his bladder – if that happens he’s cactus.

    I take him off all his food, and only on the hypoallergenic biscuits.

    1 week later he’s peeing well and he’s getting better. 2 years later, Guiness died in my arms, when he really was cactus, – but he got two more golden years of this sniffalicious life.

    Prepare to get your heart broken Zeldy, but hey thats life, thats the s**t that makes us realise when the times are good and the strange trip we are all on.

    If its a not a woman breaking your heart its a dog, and vice versa.

    May your Dog exceed all known records whilst maintaining reasonable dignity and poise, in old age.

  7. Reminds me of the time I accidentally injested half a bottle (toxic, petroleum based) anti-crab shampoo when my intent was to chug-a-lug half a bottle of paregoric. (No, it was *not* my crab shampoo.)

Comments are closed.