Join Kelly Goto, Erin Kissane, Jason Santa Maria, Eric Meyer and me for a jam-packed day of design and code on glorious Puget Sound.
The Time and Place
Monday 18 September 2006, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Bell Harbor International Conference Center
2211 Alaskan Way, Pier 66, Seattle, WA 98121 (Map)
Beautifully situated at Pier 66 on the downtown Seattle waterfront, Bell Harbor provides stunning views of the city and across Elliott Bay to Mt Rainier, plus easy walking proximity to the shops and restaurants of world-famous Pike Street Market.
Doors open at 8:00 am and the fun starts at 9:00:
- 9:00 am Hardcore CSS [Eric Meyer]
- An in-depth exploration of what makes CSS work, how it works the way it does, and how you can make it work harder for you.
- 10:00 am These Aren’t the Droids You’re Looking For [Zeldman]
- Selling design, accessibility, and web standards to tough clients, stubborn bosses, and unconvinced colleagues.
- 11:00 am BREAK!
- 11:15 Solving (Re)Design Problems [Jason Santa Maria]
- Visually repositioning a beloved brand (namely, A List Apart). Design as problem solving. Knowing which problems to solve.
- 12:00 pm “One True Layout” [Eric Meyer]
- Incredible stroke of genius or gross hack to be shunned? Eric analyzes this new “miracle” CSS layout technique and examines the pros and cons, both immediately and into the future.
- 1:00 pm Lunch
- 2:00 pm Sponsor Giveaways
- Free software and services courtesy of Adobe, AIGA, Media Temple, Mozilla, and New Riders.
- 2:10 pm Textism (Writing the User Interface) [Zeldman]
- Better design, better branding, and better usability through word choice. Editing for designers.
- 3:00 pm Designing for Lifestyle [Kelly Goto]
- As design migrates from the web to mobile devices, our approach must also shift. Learn how companies are using ethnographic-based research to design smarter interfaces.
- 4:00 pm BREAK!
- 4:10 pm CRITIQUES [Kelly Goto, Erin Kissane, Eric Meyer, Jason Santa Maria, Zeldman]
- A rip-snortin’ romp through the design, code, and content of sites created by some of the smartest people in the world — namely, the attendees of An Event Apart Seattle
Join us after the event for a Happy Hour and a Half featuring free cocktails, sponsored by Blue Flavor.
6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
The Alibi Room
85 Pike St Ste 410
Seattle, WA 98101-2001
[tags]aneventapart, an event apart, seattle[/tags]