A detailed schedule of An Event Apart NYC has been posted at aneventapart.com and reproduced below for your convenience. Join Tantek Çelik, Ze Frank, Aaron Gustafson, Jason Santa Maria, Khoi Vinh, Eric Meyer, and Jeffrey Zeldman for two days of design and code in the heart of New York City:
Victor Borge Hall is located on Level A, one floor below ground. Enter at the front door on Park Avenue and take the elevator located at the rear of the entrance hall, across from the ground-floor Gift Shop. Wheelchair-friendly restrooms are located on Level B, accessible via the elevator.
Seating is lecture-style, in a comfortable and exquisitely designed theater space, and doors open at 8:00 am. There is no Wi-Fi at this venue, but we will provide downloadable files the night before the show for those who wish to follow along on their laptops.
An Event Apart NYC runs from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm. We have a lot to cover, so the event will start promptly. Arrive early to get a good seat! Doors open at 8:00 am; for best results, plan to show up between 8:00 am and 8:30 am. Here is what you can expect over the two days of this conference:
DAY I – DESIGN DAY
- 9:00 am Welcome and Housekeeping [Zeldman]
- 9:05 am Textism (Writing User Experience) [Zeldman]
- Better design and better usability through word choice. Editing for designers.
- 10:05 am BREAK!
- 10:15 am Solving (Re)Design Problems [Jason Santa Maria]
- Visually repositioning a beloved brand (namely, A List Apart). Design as problem solving. Knowing which problems to solve.
- 11:00 am Bringing A List Apart Together [Eric Meyer]
- How someone like Eric Meyer takes a design and turns it into a living, breathing web page.
- 12:00 pm Lunch
- 1:00 pm Sponsor Giveaways
- Adobe, Media Temple, New Riders and AIGA Press will hand out valuable software, services, and books for free.
- 1:15 pm A Day in the Life of a Design Director [Khoi Vinh]
- From sun-up until the stroke of midnight, Khoi Vinh will take us through a typical day inside the NYTimes.com design group.
- 2:15 pm What’s the Story? [Zeldman]
- Finding brand narratives that set your site apart from others like it. Seizing inspiration from limited budgets.
- 2:50 pm BREAK!
- 3:00 pm Web 0.2 [Ze Frank]
- A personal, down-in-the-trenches view of how the technology revolution impacts the way we communicate with a mass audience.
- 4:00 pm DESIGN CRITIQUES [Jason Santa Maria, Khoi Vinh, Ze Frank, Zeldman]
- A rip-snortin’ romp through the design and architecture of sites created by some of the smartest people in the world (namely, the attendees of An Event Apart NYC).
DAY II – CODE DAY
- 9:00 am Welcome and Housekeeping [Eric Meyer]
- 9:10 am Hard-Core CSS [Eric Meyer]
- An in-depth exploration of what makes CSS work, how it works the way it does, and how you can make it work harder for you.
- 10:10 am BREAK!
- (You’ll need it)
- 10:30 am Microformats [Tantek Çelik]
- What are microformats, and how can they transform the web? Tantek Çelik, co-founder of the microformats movement, tells us what’s already happening and what comes next.
- 11:30 am “One True Layout” overview [Eric Meyer]
- Incredible stroke of genius or gross hack to be shunned? Eric analyzes this new CSS layout technique and examines the pros and cons, both immediately and into the future.
- 12:30 pm Lunch
- 1:30 pm Sponsor Giveaways
- 1:45 pm So you want to be a DOM Star [Aaron Gustafson]
- What does it take to be a great front-end developer in today’s marketplace? Aaron Gustafson lays it all on the line.
- 2:40 pm BREAK!
- 3:00 pm Web Standards Second Edition [Zeldman]
- What a long, strange trip it’s been.
- 4:00 pm Code critiques [Eric Meyer, Aaron Gustafson, Tantek Çelik]
- A fast-paced, rough-and-tumble review of markup, style, and scripting on a select group of sites created and submitted by attendees.
Catering is by Restaurant Aquavit, the country’s premier Scandinavian restaurant, and includes vegetarian choices.
- July 10: Gravlax Club, Grilled Scandinavian Shrimp, and Roasted Mushroom sandwiches. Salad and potato salad.
- July 11: Smoked Salmon, Spice Roasted Pork Loin, and Roasted Mushroom sandwiches. Salad and pasta salad.
All Day Long
Freshly Brewed Coffee, Decaffeinated Coffee, Selection of Teas, Assorted Soft Drinks and Sparkling Water.
Afternoon Pick-Me Up
- July 10: Assorted Cookies
- July 11: Basket of Fruit
It’s a non-smoking event. Sorry, smokers! Still photography is permitted, but audio and video recording are forbidden, except by our official videographer, Mister Ian Corey. Sorry, recordists and videographers! As always, please be considerate when taking pictures. And speaking of pictures…
We’ve established a Flickr group for those of you who want to share your photos with the world: flickr.com/groups/aeanyc2006.
This schedule is subject to change. We’ll do our best to make the experience live up to what we’ve mentioned here, but cannot guarantee a perfect 1:1 correspondence. We thank you in advance for understanding any changes we may be forced to make due to events, people, and other stuff beyond our control.
New York 2006 news
- Zefrank in, Greenfield out
- NY Sneak Preview
- NYC, Chicago Hotels
- Tantek Çelik Joins An Event Apart NYC Roster
- New York opens, Chicago sells out
- An Event Apart NYC – Two Days of Design & Code
Subscribe and keep track of all the comings and goings of An Event Apart.
[tags]an event apart, aneventapart, design, code, conference, web design, webdesign[/tags]